A Little More Behavioral, A Little Less Cognitive


     I found myself responding to my client the other day that they should be “a little more behavioral, a little less cognitive.” Though this client must necessarily remain anonymous, I feel immensely grateful to them for allowing me to express a phrase that has grown in meaning for me as I have taken the time to think further on it.
             I hear a boogie beat when the words go through my head, “a little less cognitive, yeah, a little more behavioral…” That makes it sound light, which is fairly accurate. It’s certainly not meant to be heavy. It’s simply saying this: sometimes you need to not think. Just do.
            Not what you expect to hear from a (primarily) cognitive-behavioral therapist, right? We like making you think, at times ad nauseum. Thinking is important. It’s important because sometimes people don’t think, and they get themselves in trouble. But sometimes people think too much as well.
            How much is too much? When it’s paralyzing. When it promotes perfectionism. When you’ve done all you can do. When it makes you more upset to think about it, instead of less.
            Thoughts only have value as they change behaviors and emotions. Otherwise, they’re just ping-pong balls bouncing around in our pretty little heads. Thinking “I’m not worthless” doesn’t mean anything until you decide it’s true! A decision is an action that validates the thought. It says, “this thought really matters, because I’m going to do something about it.”
            So, all you obsessive thinkers (and I’m including myself here), realize that by thinking too much and never acting, you are making them powerless thoughts, as powerful thoughts cause action.
            Have powerful thoughts: do something about them.
            A little more behavioral, a little less cognitive.

'Til Next Session
      Stephanie Ann Adams

0 comments:

Post a Comment